The following are the ongoing responsibilities of the Nurses Committee. Specific annual objectives set by the Council Chair are listed separately.
- To maintain an established ISTH nurses forum that is effective and efficient
- To foster regular communication between nurses (ISTH members and non-members)
- To increase membership of nurses in ISTH and nurses participation in ISTH programs and activities and attendance at ISTH conferences
- To share and promote evidence-based findings and practice through knowledge translation, standardization and systematic evaluation in clinical practice settings.
- Propose to Council scientific and/or educational projects in support of the mission of the Society, including but not limited to:
- general professional education pertaining of interest to nurses
- education about patient management or supportive care interventions
- specific research activities conducted solely by nurses or with nurse participation
- be actively involved in the planning and execution of a nurses program at ISTH meetings
- To disseminate information on guidelines, research projects, and education materials relevant to nurses and/or their patients
- Provide mentorship to nurses in their role to teach, coach, individualize, and intervene in applying evidence based practice
- Support systematic evaluation and dissemination of practical and actionable standardized or targeted interventions for this unique patient population that is provided by nurses.
- Submit written reports to Council at least once a year.
- Designated Chair and Vice Chair, and up to six (6) additional members. Council membership is not required for serving on the Committee
- ISTH Secretary General serves as ex-officio member of the Committee
- All Committee members should be ISTH members in good standing
Appointment and Terms:
Committee Chair, Vice Chair and members are appointed by the incoming Chairman of Council, and terms set according to the ISTH Standing Committee Guidelines. Maximum term on the committee are three (3) two-year terms. It is expected that 1/3 of the committee members rotates off every other (even) year.
The Nurses Committee shall meet at least once a year, and otherwise as needed, typically via tele/video conference, and/or in person on the occasion of the ISTH Annual SSC Meeting or Congress.
Lacey Schmeidler, ISTH Program Coordinator