isth Training fellowship
Open call for applications: May 1
Deadline for applications: September 15
Notification of winners: November 1
Application period is now closed for 2016
The ISTH Training Fellowship Program (ISTH-TF Program) is intended to provide support for short-term training opportunities for early career professionals (clinical or basic research) in the field, who wish to study at host institutes known for their expertise in thrombosis and hemostasis. The program aims to promote knowledge and expertise in one or all of the areas of medical/clinical care, laboratory methods and basic or clinical research in this field. The ISTH wishes to provide financial support to enhance knowledge of a new clinical subspecialty, to learn a new laboratory or research technique or for short term collaborative projects. Funds will be designated for professionals working in each of the following areas: bleeding disorders, clotting disorders, basic or clinical research.
The TF grants will provide fellows with financial support for travel, accommodation and living expenses for a fellowship period of up to two (2) months. It is intended for clinicians and scientists at an early stage in their career (within 10 years of completion of PhD or completion of clinical subspecialty training).
- Applicants for the ISTH-TF Program must be members of ISTH at the time of submitting their application and retain membership status during the period of the fellowship program
- Applicants should be clinicians or scientists holding an MD or PhD. They should be engaged in basic or clinical research in the field.
- Applicants with a science background must be within 10 years of receiving their PhD.
- Applicants with a clinical background (MD) must be within 10 years of completion of clinical subspecialty training.
- Requests for extension of the 10-year period for either maternity or paternity leave will require documented confirmation of this leave, which will be taken into consideration by the ISTH Education Committee.
- Applicants must be a resident of a high-income economy country as designated by the World Bank*
- Applicants must be able to read, write and speak in English or the primary language used at the host institute.
- Applicants must have a documented publishing history, presentations and clinical, laboratory or research experience in the field of thrombosis and hemostasis
- Applicants must not be employed by a pharmaceutical, biomedical, medical device or other commercial company
- Applicants must adhere to the conditions, guidelines and reporting requirements of the ISTH-CTF
*Applicants from an academic institute in countries classified by the World Bank as low-income, lower-middle-income, or upper-middle-income can apply for an ISTH Reach the World Fellowship.
Terms and Conditions
Applications must meet the following conditions:
- Home and host institutes must be academic or clinical centers in different countries
- Submission of a 1-2 page description of the project providing information outlining the training objective, why this training can only be obtained at the proposed host institute and the level of impact that the Fellowship will have on the applicant’s career
- A letter of support for the Fellowship application from the academic supervisor at applicant’s home institute, including confirmation that the applicant’s current position will be secure upon his/her return from the Fellowship
- A letter of support from the academic supervisor at the host institute confirming support for the applicant and their willingness to provide the Fellowship Training along with agreement on the proposed project and implementation.
- Confirmation that the host institute is able provide all facilities and arrangements for a successful conduct of the applicant’s project
- A commitment from the applicant to return to work at their home institute immediately after the Fellowship for at least 6 months
- Submission of end-of-training report, signed by the academic supervisor, to the ISTH Education Committee within 2 months of completing the Fellowship
- In the event the fellow does not return to their home institution, the fellow is required to return all received funds to the ISTH within one (1) month.
Apply Online Here!
It is expected that a minimum of ten (10) Fellowships will be awarded each year. Funding is for a maximum of two (2) months. Funding is intended to cover:
- Economy/tourist class round-trip airfare for the applicant (only)
- Stipend for living expenses at US$500 per full calendar week
- In the event the fellowship needs to end prematurely, the remaining unused stipend must be returned within one (1) month to the ISTH.